HomeLibraryMaritime ResourcesFiling Taxes When Out of the Country

Filing Taxes When Out of the Country

Regardless of where you live or work, filing taxes as a U.S. citizen is generally the same except for some minor differences.

Currency Exchange Rates

If you receive your paycheck in a currency other than U.S. dollars, you will have to convert that to dollars before filing. The following are two resources that will help you convert your foreign currency to U.S. dollars:

Oanda Currency Converter

Treasury Reporting Rates of Exchange

When to File

As a U.S. citizen residing overseas, you are allowed an automatic 2-month extension to file your taxes if you are out of the country. So, if your regular filing date is April 15th(as it is for most citizens), then you would receive an extension until June 15th.

Also, if you are married and are filing a joint tax return, your spouse can qualify for this extension as well. However, this does not apply if your spouse files separately.

In order to receive this extension, you must attach a statement to your return that says you were working/living out of the United States.

If the 2-month extension is not enough, you can file form 4868 before the automatic 2-month extension date to receive an extra 6-month extension.

CAUTION: Even if you have this extension, you may be required to pay interest on your taxes until you eventually do file and pay. We advise you to call the IRS directly to clarify whether this may be the case for you.

How to File

You can mail your tax return to the following:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215

Estimated tax payments should be mailed with form 1040-ES to:

Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 1300
Charlotte, NC 28201-1300

Getting More Tax Help

The IRS Office in Philadelphia provides international tax assistance. This office is open Monday through Friday from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. EST and can be contacted by:

  • Phone: 1 (267) 941-1000 (not toll-free)
  • FAX:1 (267) 941-1055
  • Email: Email the IRS
    (e-mail is for general tax questions; NOT questions regarding your tax account)
  • Mail: Internal Revenue Service
    Philadelphia, Pa 19255-0725
have a question?