HomeFAQsMaritime Injury ClaimsWhat kinds of experts will be needed for my maritime or Jones Act case?

What kinds of experts will be needed for my maritime or Jones Act case?

There are several kinds of experts needed for maritime or Jones Act cases. In Louisiana or elsewhere in the country, consult with a Jones Act law attorney in New Orleans if you’ve been injured in a maritime accident. The Young Firm, which is based in New Orleans but handles cases nationally, has the resources to secure expert witnesses on your behalf when necessary.

Since maritime lawsuits are vigorously defended by insurance companies, you’ll want an attorney who is familiar with this practice, whether you’re suing for emotional distress in New Orleans or medical expenses and lost wages in Mississippi.

When Your Claim Requires an Expert Witness

In addition to experience, your attorney should have financial resources because your maritime injury can be expensive if it must go before a judge and jury.

Expert witnesses that may be necessary include:

  • an economist or other economic expert to testify regarding past and future lost wages and fringe benefits;
  • a liability expert to show how the company was negligent in causing your injury;
  • a mental health professional in cases involving emotional distress lawsuits; and
  • medical professionals if there are any disputes regarding your injuries.

In addition to having resources to hire expert witnesses, your attorney should have the time and resources to work with these expert witnesses to build a solid case.

Since your attorney will probably be hiring experts and paying them up front, your case has the chance of being carefully reviewed before it’s accepted or rejected. Overall, your attorney should be comfortable arguing Jones Act cases. In Louisiana, The Young Firm has the background to defend Jones Act cases, whether you’re suing for emotional distress in New Orleans or disfigurement in California.

Contact a Jones Act Law Attorney in New Orleans

Maritime law provides you with certain protections your employer may not want you to know about. A maritime law attorney from The Young Firm in New Orleans, Louisiana, can help with emotional distress lawsuits or if you have suffered boating accident injuries, an offshore accident or other injuries that fall under maritime law or the Jones Act. Though we are based in Louisiana, we are ready and able to help injured victims throughout the U.S. Order our free Maritime Injury Law guide and/or our guide to what to do when you are injured offshore to learn all about your rights as an injured worker.

have a question?