HomeFAQsMaritime LawCan I file a lawsuit after a boating accident under general maritime law?

Can I file a lawsuit after a boating accident under general maritime law?

Any individual who has been involved in a boating accident on navigable waters can file a lawsuit under general maritime law. This is in contrast to the Jones Act of 1917, under which only seamen can file a lawsuit. If you have been injured in an accident out on the water, you should contact an attorney who has extensive knowledge of general maritime management.

It’s common for cruise ship passengers and offshore workers who suffer injuries as a result of the negligence of third parties to file a lawsuit under general maritime law, granted the third party is not an employer.

If you intend to file a lawsuit under general maritime law, it must be filed within 3 years of the boating accident that led to your injuries. You have the option of filing your lawsuit in state or federal court, but you do not have the right to a jury trial; however, your attorney can demand a jury trial under certain circumstances. For example, if your claim can be combined with the Jones Act of 1917 or another jurisdiction within the court, you will have the right to a jury trial. 

It would be beneficial to meet with an attorney who can explain general maritime management and issues of negligence. If it can be determined that you have a legitimate case, your attorney will help you take steps toward financial recovery.

To protect the integrity of your case, you should seek immediate medical treatment, follow all of your doctor’s orders, and keep a journal of your daily pain and suffering.

Contact a Maritime Law Attorney

Maritime law provides you with certain protections your employer may not want you to know about. A maritime law attorney from The Young Firm in New Orleans, Louisiana, can help you if you have suffered boating accident injuries, an offshore accident or other injuries that fall under maritime law or the Jones Act. Though we are based in Louisiana, we are ready and able to help injured victims throughout the U.S. Order our free Maritime Injury Law guide and/or our guide to what to do when you are injured offshore to learn all about your rights as an injured worker.

When you are ready to get started with your Jones Act injury case, we urge you tocontact us today for a FREE case evaluation -call toll-free at 1-866-703-2590 FREE.

have a question?